Mr. Gerrow graduated from Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1974 having received his undergraduate education at Saint Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
He was admitted to the bar of the State of New Jersey in 1974, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey in 1974 and the United States Supreme Court in 1978.
He began his legal career as a law clerk For the Hon. W. Thomas McGann, J.S.C. and the Hon. Herman Belopolsky, J.S.C. in Mount Holly, New Jersey. From September 1975 until August 1982 he was an Associate Attorney and, later, Member of the law firm of Hartman, Schlesinger, Schlosser, Faxon & Foy in Mount Holly, primarily engaged in criminal defense litigation in federal, state and municipal courts. He also briefed and argued cases before the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court. He served as a municipal prosecutor in five Burlington County municipalities during this time.
He then served in the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office from August 1982 until his retirement in December 2007 as Executive Assistant Prosecutor. He previously served as Acting Burlington County Prosecutor (11/98 – 6/99), Chief Trial Attorney and Deputy First Assistant Prosecutor, Litigation Section.
He prosecuted major crimes cases to include, among others, capital murder and various criminal homicide cases, cases of aggravated sexual assault, robbery and official misconduct involving law enforcement officers. He briefed and argued cases before the New Jersey Supreme Court and Superior Court, Appellate Division. He served with the Special Investigations Unit (1997-2007), Major Crimes and Homicide Units (1982–1997) participating in over 200 death investigations, in addition to other investigations of significant criminal activity.
Mr. Gerrow was also a Certified New Jersey Police Training Commission Instructor, frequently lecturing for law enforcement agencies and involved in Basic Police Recruit Training. He has lectured for the New Jersey State Bar Association, New Jersey’s Institute for Continuing Legal Education, and at the New Jersey State Judicial College and the New Jersey Association for Justice.
He served as the Special Prosecutor in the investigation and prosecution of the April 23,1998 New Jersey Turnpike Trooper Shooting Case that confirmed the use of racial profiling by the New Jersey State Police patrolling the New Jersey Turnpike.
He was also a member of Attorney General’s Committee that developed the Megan’s Law Registrant Risk Assessment Scale.
He is a former President of the Burlington County Bar Association. He served three terms as a New Jersey State Bar Association Trustee. He is a Past Chair of the Criminal Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association. he currently serves as the South Jersey Vice-Chair of the NJSBA Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee. He is former co-chair of the Association’s Judicial Administration Committee; also, a member and former co-chair of the Legislative Committee. He has served on a number of special Committees of the Association to include the Ad Hoc Committee on Jury Selection & Peremptory Challenges. He also serves on the New Jersey State Bar Foundation’s Mock Trial Committee and, previously, on the Respect Newsletter Editorial Advisory Board and its Finance & Audit Committee. He is also a member of the New Jersey Association for Justice.
He was selected as the 1997 Professional Lawyer of the Year – New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law and Burlington County Bar Association. He is also a member of the New Jersey Association for Justice. Additionally, he received the NJSBA’s Distinguished Legislative Service Award in May, 2018. He had previously received the Association’s Amicus Curiae Appreciation Award for his contribution in State v. Ciancaglini, 204 N.J. 597 (2011).
Certified Legal Specialties:
- New Jersey Police Training Commission Instructor
- New Jersey, 1974
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1974
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 1978
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. ‑ 1974
- Saint Joseph University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Honors and Awards:
- Selected Professional Lawyer of the Year – New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law and Burlington County Bar Association, 1997
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Burlington County Bar Association, Former President
- Criminal Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association, Past Chair
- Criminal Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association , Trustee
- Association’s Nominating Committee, Member
- Judicial Administration Committee, Member
- Association Legislative Committee, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Foundation’s Mock Trial Committee, Member
- Ad Hoc Committee on Jury Selection & Peremptory Challenges, Member
- Finance & Audit Committee , Previous Member
- Respect Newsletter Editorial Advisory Board, Previous Member
- New Jersey Association for Justice, Member
Past Employment Positions:
- Hartman, Schlesinger, Schlosser, Faxon & Foy, Member, 1975 – 1982
- Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office , Executive Assistant Prosecutor, 1982 ‑ 2007